Friday, May 14, 2010

Journal Reflection 3

My last day of service learning seemed much more quiet than usual. The students seemed much calmer and there was noticeably less of them. The day's arts and crafts activity was creating Mother's day cards; something the students could easily do on their own. This worked well because I had an interview scheduled for summer work with the Boys and Girls club. During the interview a lot of emphasis was put on communication. I would need to be able to not only reach the students but also parents and staff that may not be fluent in English. We went over some of my experiences at the school and how I worked with, adjusted to, and learned from them. Each summer program has a cultural theme they like to teach the children and this year's is Africa. I would be given a grade and be put in charge of teaching them about African culture while making it fun and interesting. Ultimately they believed in me enough to offer me the job which I accepted. I'm very happy to be able to not only continue working with the students and staff that I've inadvertently ended up growing so close to but to also be paid for it. In the end I'd have to say that I've gained a lot in a lot of ways during my service learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment